According to a survey by news app Inshorts, Eight out of 10 millennials living in India want Chinese video app TikTok to be banned. The app has over one billion users across the world, with India alone contributing up to 50% of those users.
This comes after Madras High Court advised the central government to ban the app as it was promoting pornography among youngsters. The court said that the government had a social responsibility to take down the inappropriate content that is being provided by the TikTok app, owned by Chinese tech company ByteDance.
TikTok officials, on the other hand, pleaded that they were abiding all local rules and regulations religiously. Speaking to IANS, one official said, “We fully comply with the Information Technology (Intermediaries Guidelines) Rules, 2011. We are currently awaiting the official order by the Madras High Court and once received, we will review and take appropriate action regarding this matter”.
Bytedance (@tiktok_us's parent company) has filed a request to the Supreme Court of India against the app's ban, arguing that the flagged inappropriate content was only a tiny proportion of its content and it could not be held liable for its user-content.https://t.co/z2Ii1LHoy2
— Tech2 (@tech2eets) April 11, 2019
“In order to better coordinate with the law enforcement agencies, we have appointed a Chief Nodal Officer based out of India,” they said.
Meanwhile, the survey consisted of 30,000 participants largely based in Tier-1 and Tier-2 cities belonging to the age group of 18-35 asked whether the app should be taken down and 80% users said yes while the rest 20% said no.
— Priyash (@goproyash) April 5, 2019
The app has a massive user base in India, and the app recorded a mammoth growth of 43% users from India in January 2019 as compared to 9.5% last year as per Sensor Tower founder Oliver Yeh’s blog post. TikTok allows its users to shoot small videos and share it with other users.
Recently there has been a lot of debate surrounding the app, as its fate hangs in the balance. Just like mobile gaming app Players Unknown Battle Ground (PUBG), Tiktok to has come under a lot of scrutiny of late.