Today, India is celebrating Iron Man’s Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel 143rd birth anniversary with the inauguration of The Statue of Unity which is 182 meters tall memorial of Sardar Patel. This statue is twice the size of the Statue of Liberty in New York which is located near the Sardar Sarovar Dam on Narmada river in Gujrat. Sardar Patel played a major role in unifying the people of India as the first Home Minister. The Statue of Unity is considered as the world tallest statue.
Anytime soon Sardar Patel’s memorial will be inaugurated by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi and here we bring you the latest and eye-opening facts about it.
1. This project was announced by Narendra Modi (when he was the CM of Gujrat) in 2010 which later started in 2013 with an alteration celebration on October 31, 2013. The world’s tallest statue is said to PM Modi’s dream project for which the Gujarat government had set up Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Rashtriya Ekta Trust (SVPRET) that led to the construction of the statue. From December 2013 the trust started the fundraising and material collection by a few programmes.
2. Iron for the construction of Sardar Patel’s statue is collection through a campaign named LOHA. SVPRET has collected iron from every state of the country. As per the estimation, the trust (SVPRET) has collected 50 lakh kg crowdsourced iron and approximately 3400 people have worked on it.
3. 2.25 crore kg cement is used in the construction which is equal to the weight of 56 Boeing 747 planes. Designed by the sculptor Ram Vanji Sutar who has Padma Bhushan in 2016 and Padma Shri in 1999 in his name. The Statue of Unity is being made with the outlay of Rs 2,989 crore.
4. It will be a tourist attraction place in Gujrat with 15000 tourists daily, as estimated. The 182-meter-high statue is visible from a 7-km radius. It is said that the height ‘182’ is the total number of Assembly constituencies in the Gujarat Legislative Assembly.
5. The Statue of Unity breaks the record of the tallest statue which is the Statue of Liberty (93 meters tall) located on Liberty Island in New York Harbor in New York City and was inaugurated on October 28 in 1886.
6. This 182-meter high statue faced a lot of obstacles during its construction as it was not an easy task for the workers and we agree on it. Core researches are done before laying the base. One of the most difficult tasks is the base of this unity statue as it is said that the Statue of Unity does not have a wider base because Sardar Patel used to wear a dhoti, hence legs of the statue had to be designed in such a way that it can bear the weight of the tall structure. This statue is made with an opposite theory unlike any other statue in the world, bottom thin and upper portion is heavy. It can bear wind speeds of 220 Kmph and earthquake of 6.5 on the Richter scale. The very first step by engineers is they made the Reinforced Cement Concrete (RCC) core then steel frames and by 2017 they develop a base of the statue which is up to 59 meters. Till July 2018, the RCC core was completed up to 157 meters which helped the engineers to carry out further steps.
7. According to a statement issued by L&T in 2015, the entire statue of Sardar Patel is being constructed in India and only the bronze which is used in the form of bronze plates have been imported from China. This is less than 9% of the total value of the project.