Vinod Khanna is one of the legendary actors of his time. The late actor made his debut as a villain, and played important roles in various iconic movies such as Gaddaar, Amar Akbar Anthony, Jaane-Anjaane, Jurm, etc.
Today, on the superstar’s 73rd birthday anniversary of Vinod Khanna, we take a look at some lesser-known facts about the actor:
1) In the film Dabangg 1 and 2, Vinod played the father of Salman Khan’s character, Chulbul Pandey. After his sad demise, Vinod’s brother Pramod Khanna will step forth into his shoes in the upcoming film Dabangg 3.
2) Vinod Khanna had taken retirement from films and served under the spiritual leader Osho. In an earlier interview, Vinod had revealed, “I was his gardener, I cleaned the toilets, I did the dishes, and his clothes were tried out on me because we were, physically, of the same stature.”
3) Due to this, Vinod was called “The monk who sold his Ferrari”, as he left all the fame and money behind to pursue a spiritual life even when he was at the peak of his career.
4) He made his debut with Sunil Dutt’s film ‘Man Ka Meet’ as a villain, and eventually cemented his reputation as a legendary actor.
5) Vinod even tried his hand in politics which saw him join Bhartiya Janta Party and he was selected twice as the winner from Gurdaspur constituency in Punjab that is currently held by Sunny Deol.
6) Moreover, Vinod was even appointed the Minister of Culture and Tourism under the Atal Bihari Vajpayee led government in the year 2002. Later, he was appointed as the Minister of State for External Affairs.
7) In an earlier interview, Vinod spoke about how his life changed after his stint in America with Osho. He said, “I went back to Bollywood. Returning to the movies was the easy part. It was leaving my guru in America which was an almost-impossible decision so much attached was I to Osho. He asked me to run the Puna ashram, but I said no. That is the most difficult no I have ever said in my life.”